An interview with new Inka Member Kate Piekutowski

We would like to welcome Kate Piekutowski to Inka Gallery! She recently joined Inka three weeks ago and in that short time she has proved to be a very popular artist!  We wish her continued success as a member and look forward to seeing all her exciting new work arrive on the shelves. 
What made you choose to become a member of Inka Gallery?
I think what really made me want to become a member of Inka was because I wanted to be a part of an artistic community. I really love being around people that enjoy the same passions and I think Inka is the perfect opportunity to both sell works whilst being in a wonderful and artistic environment.

What is your background and how did you get started?
I have always been interested in art. I started off doing a lot of drawing and painting and then I came across printmaking. I find etching a beautiful medium to work with because it is both expressive and emotive. I have nearly completed my Bachelor of Fine Arts with a major in printmaking and I believe that this experience has helped me to reveal my own identity.
Which other artists and areas of life inspire your artwork?
Other artists that inspire me are many of the renaissance painters. Artists such as Da Vinci, although they were painters, did many sketches through the etching medium. These proofs are so beautiful and detailed and it has really encouraged my drawing skills. More contemporary artists include photographer Rafael Goldchain, Cindy Sherman and printer Jazmina Cininas. These artists all deal with self-portraiture and especially Cininas has been a huge influence as she also looks at her European heritage.
What is your favourite subject matter and medium?
I predominantly use etching as my medium. This is a process by making marks on a metal plate. I find it a particularly beautiful process because traditionally it was an emotive medium used to document history. Francisco Goya was a great example of this as he was documenting the war and Spain’s connections to France during the revolution.
Do you have other creative talents besides producing artworks?
Apart from my love for printmaking, I also make jewellery, cards and I also do a lot of craft things such as sewing and knitting. I find when I am not doing one arty thing I am always doing the other! I find as an artist, that you never stop and have a break from doing art, it’s something that is constant and I think it really defines you.
What do you hope to gain by being a part of Inka Gallery?
Through Inka, I hope to gain some experience in the business/arts industry. I also hope to create new friendships and contacts that take an interest in arts. In doing so, I am very much looking forward to being a part of an artistic community.


Comments