This is an interview with and examples of the work of one of our newest members Rhys Stubbs, we welcome Rhys to inka.

What made you choose to become a member of inka gallery?
I was looking for somewhere to exhibit and sell and I found Inka. It’s right in the heart of Salamanca and its run collectively by a wonderful bunch of artists, all doing their thing. 


What is your background and how did you get started?
I started to cut magazines up a few years ago. It is something that sort of took on a life of its own. I didn’t have any big plans or formal training to begin with. I’ve learnt on the job.



Which other artists and areas of life inspire your work?
Dreams, symbolism and the philosopher’s stone. I am a surrealist at heart. I’m inspired by that thing that isn’t said, that thought that is ignored, that dream figure, that space between – the other side of the image, which may be the secret or missing element to understanding, growth or fulfillment. Hannah Hoch, a photomontage artist from 1920s, was a huge inspiration early on. Renaissance and pop art also inspire my work.


What is your favorite subject matter?
It has to be the human psyche. My work tends to represent an abstract space of symbols, shapes and fragments, much like the human psyche. 




What do you hope to gain by being part of inka gallery?
Exposure, progression and the chance to connect with other artists.



Comments