"A Different Light" - digital photography by Dennis Crawford

Bay of Fires
Digital Photography
Edition 1 of 5
58 x 44 cm
$270

Behind the Shot Tower, Taroona
Digital Photography
Edition 1 of 5
79 x 67 cm
$480

Boats at Victoria Dock, Hobart
Digital Photography
Edition 1 of 5
79 x 66 cm
$480

Charlie Chaplin Festival, Waterville, Ireland
Digital Photography
Edition 1 of 5
65 x 82 cm
$480

Fossil Cove, Blackmans Bay
Digital Photography
Edition 1 of 5
59 x 44 cm
$270

Heritage Salamanca
Digital Photography
Edition 2 of 5
106 x 78 cm
$590

Kelly Steps
Digital Photography
Edition 1 of 5
66 x 82 cm
$480

 Kelly StepsDigital Photography
Edition 4 of 15
32 x 62 cm
$210

Portrait of a Russian local; Uglich, Russia
Digital Photography
Edition 1 of 5
44 x 63 cm
$240

Richmond Bridge
Digital Photography
Edition 1 of 5
79 x 67 cm
$480

Stonehenge
Digital Photography
Edition 1 of 5
61 x 41 cm
$270

Venice, Gondolas in the Mist
Digital Photography
Edition 1 of 5
58 x 44 cm
$270

Dennis Crawford- Artist's Statement
I was born in Melbourne in 1948 and, with my wife and son, moved to Hobart, Tasmania in 1993. 
I was born at a young age, slightly prem, the third child of four kids.  My father was an electrical mechanic and this possibly influenced me to the extent that I became a professional electrical engineer. So, for 35 years I worked in the power industry in both Victoria and Tasmania doing technical engineering sort of stuff... no hint of anything arty going on!!  But then, in 2005, I retired and I thought to myself, "Now what am I going to do?"

After retiring I became a volunteer mathematics tutor with TAFE, tutoring students on a one-to-one basis. However, I also started to do framing and mat boarding for my wife, Viv, who is a talented watercolorist and a member of the Marine artists Association of Australia.           
                                 
Since I was a kid I have been interested in photography. My brother and I used to make our own cameras.  We would make pinhole cameras and also cameras to attach to our microscopes to take photomicrographs.  In our teen years we did our own film processing and built our own enlarger. I used to really enjoy it as the latent image became visible in the developer tray. 

When digital cameras came on the market the mesh of photography and computers was an inspiration for me. Whilst experimenting with some ink pen photo filter effects I reckoned that the results looked pretty good.  I printed and mat boarded some of them and put them in Quoll Gallery to test the waters and subsequently, as a result, became a member.

In May 2012 I left Quoll gallery and became a member of the Artefacts gallery, continuing to focus on black and white ink pen effect photography.

In February 2015 my wife, Vivienne, and I held a joint exhibition, “Viv Colours Den Black”, in the Studio Gallery of Salamanca Arts Centre.  The exhibition featured watercolor paintings by Vivienne and my black and white ink pen photography.

The exhibition proposed at the Inka Gallery in October, 2016 will feature not only my established technique in black and white ink pen effect photography but also more recent explorations into altering lighting effects within the photos.



Comments